In my bid to find the best home-made chocolate cake recipe, I baked quite a number of chocolate cakes. Thankfully, my neighbours were kind enough to help me finish off the early batches. But it was my friend, Cheryl who mentioned that Hersheys had a great chocolate cake recipe and she was right! This cake is dense, moist and rich and when freshly baked, extremely dangerous for the waistline.
Funnily enough, I have never used this recipe with Hershey's cocoa powder (ssshhh, don't tell them!). Just because I had Van Houten cocoa powder sitting in my larder the first time I baked this. This time round, I used a lovely cocoa powder carted all the way back from Italy by a friend who was there on her honeymoon. It turned out even better than I remember it to be.
I hope you try this recipe because it is really simple and can be whipped up in a jiffy.
The Best Home-Made Chocolate Cake Recipe
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
1. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan (or just use a baking spray with flour in it)
2. Heat oven to 350°F or 175°C
3. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in the boiling water. The batter will be thin. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
4. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cover the top of the pan with a layer of aluminium foil to prevent the bottom from burning if your oven is too hot.
5. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.
6. Lightly sprinkle powdered sugar over the cake. (The powdered sugar helps define the edges of the bundt cake. It will disappear so be prepared to sprinkle more powdered sugar just before serving.)
7. Decorate with birthday cake toppers.
This should make a birthday girl or boy very happy! and probably the husband too, considering how much cakes can cost nowadays.