We made sushi this weekend. We didn't have much planned on Saturday so I thought it would be fun to try doing something new. The last time I made sushi was when I was in University and in a foreign country.
Making sushi is not that difficult. It doesn't really require much skill.
The only special equipment that you need is a sushi-rolling mat and I already had that.
So we made a trip to the supermarket and bought:
- sushi vinegar
- japanese mayonnaise
If you want to try making your sushi, this is what we did.
1. Cook the rice. (I used normal rice but japanese short grain rice is what you can use if you want it to be really authentic).
2. Once the rice is cooked, add the sushi vinegar to the rice. Mix well and fan the rice till it is cooled. (Use a 1:4 ratio for vinegar to rice)
3. Then lay the seaweed on the sushi mat.
4. Scoop out the rice and lay it out on the edge of the seaweed.
5. Lay out ingredients on the rice.
6. Begin rolling the sushi and moisten the edge with water to seal it.
7. Slice using a very sharp knife by running it through a damp dishcloth with the blade facing away from you.
We made simple sushi rolls with our favorite ingredients but I am definitely itching to try some fun and new variations next time.
Hope you had a fun weekend too!