I love Christmas Crackers but have you noticed how expensive they sometimes are. Not to mention that they come with little nick nacks that are well, sometimes a bit of a disappointment. I like the idea of personalising Christmas crackers and being able to fill them with anything I like. Well, you can find lots of DIY tutorials on the web that show you how to make a real Christmas Cracker. But the only problem is that you need cracker snaps.
So I tried to think of an idea that one, would not require cracker snaps and secondly, would also result in a resounding pop! So here it is, fashioned from a wet umbrella bag. You know, the ones outside malls, that you use to store your wet umbrella in when it rains. Grab a couple next time, you never know when you might want to make a Christmas Cracker :)
- plastic bag for wet umbrellas
- pom poms
- curling ribbon
- washi tape
- crepe paper hat
1. Trim off one end of the plastic bag
2. Tie a dead knot at one end
3. Put in the pom poms and the nick nacks
4. Blow air into the bag and twist the end tightly
5. Tie another dead knot
6. Cut off the excess plastic
7. Tie ribbons on both ends of the Christmas Cracker and curl them
8. Decorate the body of the Cracker with washi tape
To pop the cracker, step on one end and jump on the middle to make it pop! Kids will love this and seriously, I would too :)
I didn't have time to add lots of fun nick nacks for this tutorial but I think you could put in a balloon or a little joke or note too, just to make it more fun.
I hope you have a ton of fun with this as you make someone smile this Christmas. If you liked this DIY idea, you might enjoy other ideas in the series, handmade holiday ideas.
* This post was first shared at The Playful Parents as part of a series called Love Gifts.